Sunday, June 2, 2013

Big Sky Controversy

 

I'm terribly behind on keeping you current with all my beer exploits.  I do apologize.  No excuses except to say, I've just been so busy!  I promise I shall do better.

Earlier this spring Montana went through a bit of brewery turmoil.  If you're interested in what that was all about, please check out the news archives at the Montana Brewers Association website.  Suffice it to say that small craft breweries in Montana were in a bit of danger.  The resulting hoopla in the state legislature brought about the most activism for any one bill in Montana's history.  Save the beer!
As it happened though, on the day the bill went to vote in the legislature, I happened to be visiting one of the few breweries in the state siding in favor of the "anti-brewery bill" HB-616, Big Sky Brewing in Missoula (#95, see below for info on #94).  Big Sky, though, is not a small craft brewery.  It is among the Top 50 craft breweries in the country.  Considering how many craft breweries are currently operating in the U.S., that's saying something!

While upset that Big Sky chose not to stand on the side of the little guys (to oversimplify a bit), I'm pragmatic enough to make the most of my visit.  


Because Big Sky brews over 10,000 barrels per year, they aren't allowed to charge customers for their tasters; instead, you get four smaller ones free.   As a result, they don't have a big sit down area for you to enjoy your brews.  You just belly up to the bar.  They do, however, have more swag than I've ever seen in a brewery.  Nice stuff, too.  I did well, though, I purchased only a Nalgene-style growler (I'd been wanting one for camping) and my usual pint glass.  Oh, and a Big Sky metal walls sign.  C'mon, I had to!

Back in the day when craft beers were more difficult to come by, I could usually find Moose Drool, Big Sky's signature beer, and I thought it was the cat's meow.  Now, though, after trying hundreds of other beers and having more options available to me, you will very rarely find me with a Moose Drool in hand.  I feel the same about most of their other beers that are easy to come by in Montana.  But the night before visit, I met a guy in a Missoula bar who couldn't say enough about the Cowboy Coffee Porter.  I gave it a whirl.  Yes, please!  Damn, that's some good stuff.  So good that I filled that growler full.  If I find it in the local stores, it's pretty likely I'll have to buy some more.

Big Sky, you're still Montana's namesake beer.  I forgive you your transgression.

***************************************************

#94 - Bridger Brewing in Bozeman





The day before my Big Sky Brewery visit, I made a stop and just-opened Bridger Brewing in Bozeman.  The beers were alright, but it's a really strange day when my favorite brew is the Blonde.  To give credit, that Blonde was exceptional, one of the best I've ever had.  They're not the most complex of beers and I can't really say what it was about it that made it so tasty; it just was. 

What truly makes Bridger Brewing well worth the trip, the pizza.  Brick oven style with all sorts of unusual toppings.  I selected the buffalo pepperoni with shitake mushrooms.  Very, very nice.

Hopefully I'll get back there again after they've had more time to settle in and have a few more beers to try.





No comments:

Post a Comment